Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Uh Oh! 5-0!

I am fixing up my resume and writing some essays to apply for a new English teaching job, here in Japan, before the company I work for completely tanks. So, to warm up my writin' finger I'll tell you a funny little story of my run in with the cops two nights ago.

When watching movies and doing laundry gets boring Kudamaters have to find other ways of having fun. So the other night me and my Australian next-door-neighbor (we'll call him Puffy), went down to the river. He was drinking beers and I was enjoying a soda on a bench on the street. Puffy went down to the water to "drain the dragon" as he'd say, and I sat under the streetlight alone.

It took only moments before a car pulled up to me. It was the Kudamatsu police. One guy said "good evening" and got out and sat next to me, between Japanese words he said "What's your name?" And handed me a notebook to write it on. Then he asked me my address. I slowly signaled that I would reach into my wallet to get my address out (as you would do when dealing with American police, no sudden moves). As I took out my Alien Registration card Puffy walked back up from the river.

The other officer saw him and they exchanged greetings. Apparently they'd met before. They chatted a bit, Puffy tossed out the name of our company, and the cops smiled, nodded, and left.

I guess public drinking is accepted and encouraged in Japan, because traditionally it would be impolite to stay at home and drink. I think the officers were just making sure I wasnt one of those Russian hookers we have around here.

And that was it.

9 comments:

red-handed said...

So ... American hookers are okay then? Why don't you just do that for money? Or is the resumé even longer?

Alessandro Echevarria said...

Oh... wow that's neat. but if you ever need an editor... I do editing. and write for money. but it can be free in your case toots ; )

Anonymous said...

public drinking is accepted there til u get on a bike or in a car then if ur caught u'll be in jail faster then u pop the top off your beer but like u said they were just bored cops with nothing better to do then to see if u were a new joro which ur friend verifyied u werent. good luck in ur new job search: michael dailey

josh pincus is crying said...

...and from what I understand, public "draining of the dragon" is okay, too.

Dan Nolan said...

you should definitely hook! and cartoon about it afterwards.

Steve said...

Was hoping for at least some police abuse there. Those damn Japanese police. Too fucking polite for my liking.

Anonymous said...

Comments here are just as entertaining as the post itself.

Good luck for the job search.

d said...

i wish you were a russian hooker.

Anonymous said...

AHAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!! They thought you were a russian hooker?!?!?! That is too funny! You need to make that into a comic!