Today is Friday and I leave Tuesday. No better time to start blogging about my move to Japan than now.
I don't know what's going on with the company Im working for. I'll admit, I didn't put much research into where Id apply to. I knew of a few people who used them to teach English in Japan. They survived. That was good enough for me.
Maybe I should have been skeptical when twenty-two days after I received my rejection letter I get a phone call from their Boston office asking me where my paperwork was. Apparently I did get the job and a "database error" caused me to spend those twenty-two days in one of the deepest depressions of my life.
Once I knew I got the job, on June 22nd, there was a lot of paperwork and waiting around. They were late with letting me know where I'd be moving and teaching. I didn't get that information until September 11th. With an apology attached.
Then on Wednesday they called to confirm I had my work visa and yen. They also let me know that due to something-or-another in the Japan office, my $1,200 salary advance would probably be delayed four to six weeks. I expected to get it after two. And of course at this point I have no way of getting together a couple of extra hundred bucks.
Then, there was this morning. I leave in four days. All my stuff is in boxes at my dad's house. I quit my job. I spent over $500 on new "professional" clothes. Im wicked busy with a million things to do (as you can tell by this super ugly blog). I get a phone call from the Boston office telling me they heard some of the teachers weren't paid on time this month. The man on the phone suggests I wait a month to leave.
I cant wait a month. I don't have a job. I have a ton of bills. I already said goodbye to people.
Thanks for making me feel super confident about my flight to Japan. This isnt going to help my brand new stress-induced-adult-onset acne. I totally don't expect anyone to be at the airport in Osaka when I land. Hey, maybe if Im lucky the whole company will go under the day I arrive.
EDIT (I just received this email):
I refer to our conversation this morning. I informed you of our concerns about adverse speculation regarding [the company] which may affect your plans for travel to, and employment in, Japan.
We asked you to consider whether you wished to:
1) Continue with your current employment process and travel plans; or
2) Delay your departure to a future date until matters are satisfactorily clarified.
In our view it would be prudent to delay your departure pending confirmation by [the company] management that adequately responds to the adverse speculation.
In any case, we suggest that you take the precaution of bringing additional funds with you.
Would you please confirm, by return email, your decision to continue with your trip in order that we facilitate your arrival and employment in Japan.
We would be grateful for your prompt reply.
We sincerely wish you the very best.